Choquequirao Trek 5D/4N
- Tour Type: Hiking, camping, adventure, history, culture
- Good For: Those who enjoy hiking and are in moderate shape
- Total Distance: 64 KM/40 Miles
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Considerations: This trek does not visit Machu Picchu
PRIVATE TOUR PRICES
- 1 person: $1600
- 2 persons: $1250
- 3 persons: $960
- 4 persons: $780
- 5+ persons: $640
Rediscovered late in the 20th century, after Machu Picchu, Choquequirao is another “Lost City of the Incas.” It is both larger than Machu Picchu and much less well-known. In Quechua, the indigenous language, Choquequirao means "Cradle of Gold." Located between the Salkantay and Humantay mountains, it is at almost 3,000masl (9,842 ft) set above the Apurimac River.
This is the trail less travelled--more challenging than our traditional treks and considered one of the most difficult treks in all of Peru. However, it is exciting for that very reason, with lots of mountain switchbacks to reach the Choquequirao ruins. The awe-inspiring scenery includes soaring mountains with remote villages nestled within. We will camp beside the raging Apurimac River, famous for its Class 5 rafting rapids.
Day 1: Cusco - Capuliyoc - Coca Masana - Chikiska - Rosalina Camp
- After an early breakfast in your Cusco hotel we start our 4-hour drive to Cachora (2,906m/9,534ft) in our private van.
- On the way, we will stop to enjoy the view of Limatambo Canyon with the great Apu Salkantay and Humantay Mountains surrounding us.
- We continue to Capuliyoc (2,915m/9,564ft) to meet our expedition support crew to begin our trek. We have beautiful views of the Apurimac valley stretching below and the peaks of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora.
- We then descend to Coca Masana (2,330m/7,644ft) where the climate is noticeably warmer and the flora and fauna begin to change.
- Finally we arrive at Playa Rosalina (1,550m/5,085ft) beside the raging Apurimac River, famous for Class 5 rafting rapids. We set up camp here to spend the night.
Day 2: Playa Rosalina - Marampata - Choquequirao
- Breakfast is early today. We have a short walk to Playa Rosalina near the Apurimac River to cross a bridge into a forest of cactus, agaves and exotic local fruit trees.
- We then start a gradual gradual climb from the Apurimac river to Marampata (2,900m/9,514ft) to stop for lunch surrounded by beautiful landscape.
- At the end of the path we get our first sighting of the archaeological complex of Choquequirao.
- It is an easy hike to this Inca complex where we visit the farming terraces of Paqchayoc and the house of the waterfall. We then return to camp nearby.
Day 3: Choquequirao Archaeological Complex - Marampata
- All day is dedicated to exploring the incredible ruins of Choquequirao. Our guide will explain the history and importance of the site.
- You will then have time to visit the complex. A picnic lunch is provided.
- Early afternoon we begin our return trek. We camp tonight at Marampata where dinner is provided.
Day 4: Marampata - Coca Masana
- After breakfast we trek with a steep descent for our return to the Apurimac River where we have lunch.
- In the afternoon we climb to our final campsite at Coca Masana. Dinner is provided.
Day 5: Coca Masana - Capuliyoc - Cusco
- After breakfast we have a steep climb to Capuliyoc (2,915m/9,564ft).
- We will say goodbye to our arieros (horse guides) and board our van.
- The archaeological site of Saihuite Stone in Conoq where we stop for lunch at a local cafe.
- Another 4 hours by van returns us to your Cusco hotel.
INCLUDED IN YOUR TRIP
For Your Transport:
- Round trip pick-up and return to your hotel in Cusco by private van
For Your Safety:
- Pre-departure briefing (the evening before)
- Experienced, knowledgeable tour guides
- First-aid kit
- Oxygen cannisters (for emergency use)
- Boiled water (from second day on)
For Your Sustenance:
- Daily wake-up coca tea in your tent
- Delicious meals for the entire tour (3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners) + snacks (Special diets accommodated with advance notice)
- Professionally trained cooks and assistants
- Happy hour with maca tea and hot drinks every afternoon
For Your Comfort and Well-Being:
- Horses to carry 6Kg of personal items including sleeping bag
- Horses to carry camping equipment, tents, table, stools and cooking gear
- Dining and kitchen tent, camping tables and stools
- Two people per tent (spacious 4-person tents)
- Thick, inflatable sleeping mattress, sleeping bags (-10 degrees) and pillows
- Biodegradable toilet tent system
- Extra time to go to the hot springs
- Entrance tickets to Ausangate
- Trekking poles – renting option US$25 for entire trek
- Tips for your staff, guides, cooks, horseman
- Single Tent Supplement (US$50)
- Day 1 breakfast, Day 5 lunch and dinner
- Water on the first day
WHAT TO BRING
- Original passport (with more than 6 months from expiration)
- A daypack to carry your personal belongings (we provide a duffle bag for other items)
- Lighter style trekking boots with good ankle support
- Sneakers or sandals for comfort while in camp
- Warm clothes, fleece and layers for variable temperatures (especially at night)
- Thermal underwear to be worn in the sleeping bag in cold conditions
- Gloves or mittens, scarf, three pairs wool socks, woolen hat for cold nights
- T-shirts and trekking pants
- Flashlight and head-lamp with extra batteries
- Camera and extra batteries
- Small size binoculars
- Wide-brimmed hats, with a broad visor
- Sunscreen SPF30+
- Lip balm
- Rain Gear: rain jacket or poncho
- Toiletries, toilet paper, moist towelettes
- Small towel
- Refillable water bottle
- Water purifying tablets (optional since we provide boiled water.)
- Bathing suit if you want to go to the hot springs
- Any medications you need from home
- Plastic bags (Ziploc).
- Optional :Trekking poles
Best time to visit Machu Picchu
Come rain or shine, you are sure to have an exquisite time on the mystical classic path to Machu Picchu. Plan as you may, remember that ...
Preparing for the Inca Trail
Preparation is the key to success, especially when planning your 4-5 day, 40 kilometer (25 mile) trip on the Inca Trail. This rigorous ...